Parenting & Family Therapy
I often work with couples and individuals on parenting issues and other problems involving extended family members. We address specific problems while focusing on how the couple and family communicates and resolves differences. The goal is to enhance the individual growth of each member, while at the same time building a sense of connection within the family. Clients are helped to discard old patterns that are no longer helpful, and to decide what they want and need in order to transform into a more positive and effective team.
While I usually only see individuals and couples, occasionally it may be decided to bring additional family members into sessions, such as older children or parents. This is decided on a case-by-case basis depending on the needs of each family.
Some of the most common parenting and family issues that bring clients into treatment involve communication, conflict resolution, boundaries, managing the pileup of life stressors, power and control, rules and consequences, and life transitions. In addition, I have specific experience in the following areas:
- Mental Health Diagnoses
- Substance Use
- Family of Origin Issues
- Divorce/Dissolution (Note: I do not perform custody evaluations; instead I work with parents on managing parenting issues that come up as the relationship transitions)
- Blended Families
- Relationships with In-Laws
- Adjusting To and Supporting Decisions around Sexuality and Gender (for clients or any family member)
- Multi-Generational Families
- Military Families
- Caring for Aging Parents
- Medical Diagnoses, including living with chronic illness